thumbnail

Owen Wright Wins 2015 Fiji Pro

Owen Wright Wins 2015 Fiji Pro with Perfect Score






































Owen Wright (AUS) has won the Fiji Pro in historic fashion today, claiming his second Perfect 20 of the event in the Final bout against compatriot Julian Wilson (AUS) held in pumping eight-to-ten foot (2.5 - 3 metre) barrels.


Stop No. 5 of 11 on the 2015 Samsung Galaxy WSL Championship Tour (CT), the Fiji Pro, has been treated to an abundance of swell and incredible performances by the world’s best surfers, culminating today with Wright’s unparalleled mastery of Cloudbreak.


“I can’t believe it, to finish with a couple of 10’s is a dream come true,” said Wright. “I’ve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes and watching the top guys closely and it’s definitely paid off. Gabriel Medina has been a huge inspiration for me, especially watching him at this event last year and what he’s done.”


Wright was the form surfer of the event after a series of incredible performances and huge scores, including a flawless Round 5 heat where he posted his first perfect heat total (only the then-seventh in sport’s history). The Australian made history today by delivering another Perfect 20 in the Final, the sport’s eighth ever perfect heat total, as the first surfer to achieve this incredible feat twice in one event.


“I’ve done two trips to Tahiti already this year and I think that’s where some of the barrel riding has come from,” continued Wright. “I have to pay a big tribute to my boards - I’ve never felt better doing turns out there and I love the turns as much as I love the barrels.”


Wright’s win at the Fiji Pro is his second CT victory, after a previous win at the Quiksilver Pro New York in 2011. Wright came into to the event ranked sixth in the world and the result sees him jump up to third on the Jeep Leaderboard. A combination of deep barrel rides and carving rail-work helped the goofyfooter reach the Final after defeating Jeremy Flores (FRA) in the Semifinals and Joel Parkinson (AUS) in the Quarters earlier today.


“Yesterday was a dream come true and today is even better,” Wright said. “To finish with two 10’s is really special. I was watching the ocean before the Final and I knew it would turn on. I knew I just had to be in that rhythm and the waves came and I took them. I’m stoked to be back up on the podium and wouldn’t be here without all the support back home.”


Wright dominated the Final from start to finish, opening early with a 9.60 and quickly putting Wilson in a combination. With less than five minutes remaining Wright delivered an epic ride, opening with a huge turn and big barrel, and was rewarded with a Perfect 10. Another long, critical tube ride moments afterwards earned him another Perfect 10, his fourth of the competition and his second Perfect heat total, to seal his victory


 Here’s Owen Wright’s 2nd perfect 10 from the final:

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Site via Email

No Comments

Popular Posts